Wednesday, April 6, 2011

ROW 80: Check In - "Pearls In the Park & Pizza Crust"

I have a working title!  I know what you're thinking, "THAT is your title? And you're excited about it?"  As a matter of fact, I am!  Okay, so it's quirky and odd, but the story is too, that is what I love about it.

Working title in hand, I've written my hook as well.  It's rough, but it's written.  With my last manuscript I didn't write my hook until I finished the book, in fact, I still change it on a weekly basis.  A friend of mine pointed out I should write my hook and keep it posted by my monitor, so I can see it as I write, always reminding me of the tone I would like for the book.  I like that idea.

As for the meat and bones writing...well, I haven't actually gotten into that much.  The problem lies with my protagonist, she is about to commit herself to being a Savannah socialite rather than the frazzled mother I originally envisioned.  Ultimately it's her story, she knows best.

My mini  goal is to have the first chapter complete by Sunday.  Don't scoff.  The first chapter is hard, trying to find the right tone and properly set things up...it's downright daunting!  Oh, and there is the fact that our house renovations are starting this week.  Don't be surprised if the first chapter finds Ms.Nola-Deen Andrews in the middle of a renovation herself!

Happy Writing!

~Kali

11 comments:

Jessica Thomas said...

I like your title. I'm already intrigued. :) The working title for mine is Hummingbird, which is pretty pathetic really. I don't have a clue what I want to title it yet!

Claire Farrell said...

Good luck during ROW80!

The hook is pretty important - I have one particular story written that I can't pin down to one hook. Some day I'll figure out the hook and have to rewrite it. :)

Alice McElwee said...

You changed the site! Looks good! It's also good that your excited about your title. I think it's cute!

I agree with your friend. I write the hook early on -- helps keep the story in perspective and keeps you from deviating...if that makes sense.

Good luck with ROW80!

Cid Tyer said...

I'm jealous. Titles run away from me. I usually end up with really dumb names for months until something finally sounds like it 'fits'.

Kate said...

Well, it's memorable and will Google well. And you won't have to worry about 5 other people having the same title for your book when it gets searched on Amazon, so I'd say you picked a good one. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE your working title. Kinda sounds like a romance mystery, which I love.

Good luck!

p.s. word verification: "heals." HM, blogger. JUST HM.

S.J. Noir said...

I happen to like quirky and odd. So your title works for me.

Good luck with your goal.

Robin M said...

Definitely an intriguing title. And having lived in Georgia, I'm hooked already. Good luck with your first chapter.

Kellie said...

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, you have all made me smile and I am thrilled that so many of you like my working title.

I am being a noob and haven't figured out how to respond to each of your posts individually, as I would like.

Thank you all again!

Katy Bennett said...

I like the hook idea and I had a character who completely changed his mind on me about what he was. I've also just finished house renovations so wishing you the best of luck.

Heather said...

Write what ya know. ;-)

Chapter One is your first impression, the one where everyone will decide whether or not to keep reading. Good luck this week!